It’s being dubbed “Operation NewSon” or, OpNewSon for short. It’s slated to be a massive DDoS attack orchestrated by another Anonymous spin-off calling themselves “TheWikiBoat”. The first question that comes to mind is – I wonder if these groups really like boats THAT much? In all seriousness though, a recent Pastebin from TheWikiBoat states that on May 25th, 2012 (yes, tomorrow), they will launch a massive DDoS attack against a group of 46 different companies – composed of three phases. They are calling for those who would like to actively protest and want to take on the “elite”, to download LOIC (Low-Orbit Ion Cannon) from the Internet and join them in their IRC chat room to await further instructions and training. Presumably, while all this is going, TheWikiBoat’s members will attempt to compromise systems of the companies named and eventually released the stolen data (at least that is how I understand it).
Here’s a copy of the Pastebin paste with some additional information compiled:
Operation NewSon (OpNewSon) #TheWikiBoat By: AnonymousWiki on Apr 11th, 2012 | syntax: None | size: 4.21 KB | hits: 2,418 | expires: Never
We, #TheWikiBoat would like to introduce this press release on our very first operation: Operation NewSon (OpNewSon). As previously stated, we have no motives other then doing it all for the lulz. However this operation will be slightly different and will somewhat change our already stated objective on doing it for the lulz. On the day of the operation, we plan to hit and attack several high corporate entities. Shortly after the start of the operation, we plan to release precious classified data on the already set out list of targets we do have. Those targets are none other then the ones who ultimately rule: the high revenue making companies of the world. While attacking the major companies of this planet may seem lulzy, we also wish that this operation make a difference. We are “sticking it to the man” so to speak. Our hopes are set out on this being a major operation because after all, we will be hitting major corporate/incorporate associations.
This operation has three parts to it. 1. Spread the word of OpNewSon. This part is already in effect. We just need everyone to spread the word that a major operation is coming up real soon. The goal is for this message to get at least 5,000 views. Please spread the word of this operation in any way you can. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Let the corporate entities know that we are coming. 2. The online protests. This is where we need your help! Online protesting is simple and effective. All that’s needed is enough people with the power to stand up to those who ultimately rule the world. We ask that you join us on the day of the 25th (May) in our IRC for further instructions on our planned protesting.
** IRC: http://cbe003.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23TheWikiBoat&server=irc.voxanon.net **
Until then, here’s how you can ready up…We’re going to be DDoS’ing the targets. DDoS takes a website offline for a certain amount of time depending on how many people are participating in the attack. These easy meaningful attacks are actually quite effective and have huge impacts. The tool we will be using is called LOIC.
Donwload here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/loic/ We’ll explain how to use LOIC as well as which targets we’ll be hitting on the 25th of May. More information and updates will also become available on Twitter: @AnonymousWiki @AnonymouSpoon @MehIzDanneh @TibitXimer @Anonymau 3. The attacks. This phase will be the most powerful. By the time this phase is enitiated, all targets will have been downed (DDoS’d) for at least 2 hours. This phase is all about leaking highly classified data from the targets.
THIS OPERATION WILL COMMENCE ON MAY 25th, 2012
Spread the word as much as possible as we plan to take on the great elite.
The List By: AnonymousWiki on Apr 4th, 2012 | syntax: None | size: 1.74 KB | hits: 396 | expires: Never
1. ***Public Broadcasting System http://www.pbs.org/
2. **Bethblog http://www.bethblog.com/
3. British Telecom http://www.bt.com/
4. ExxonMobil http://www.exxonmobil.com
5. Royal Dutch Shell http://www.shell.com/
6. Walmart http://www.walmart.com/
7. British Petroleum http://www.bp.com
8. Sinopec http://sinopec.com/
9. Chevron http://www.chevron.com/
10. State Grid Corporation of China http://www.sgcc.com.cn/
11. Toyota http://www.toyota-global.com/
12. PetroChina http://www.petrochina.com.cn
13. Japan Post Holdings http://www.japanpost.jp
14. Vitol http://www.vitol.com/
15. Glencore http://www.glencore.com/
16. Volkswagen http://www.volkswagenag.com
17. Fannie Mae http://www.fanniemae.com
18. Allianz https://www.allianz.com
19. Hewlett-Packard http://www.hp.com/
20. AT&T http://www.att.com
21. Carrefour http://www.carrefour.com/
22. AXA http://www.axa.com
23. Assicurazioni Generali http://www.generali.com
24. Cargill http://www.cargill.com/
25. Bank of America https://www.bankofamerica.com/
26. Tesco http://www.tesco.com/
27. Apple http://www.apple.com/
28. IBM http://www.ibm.com
29. Avia http://www.aviva.com/
30. Wells Fargo https://www.wellsfargo.com/
31. KPMG http://www.kpmg.com
32. Kroger http://www.kroger.com
33. Rio Tinto http://www.riotinto.com/
34. Bank of China http://www.boc.cn/
35. Mitsubishi http://www.mitsubishicorp.com
36. Reliance Industries Limited http://www.ril.com/
37. Dongfeng Motor http://www.dfmc.com.cn/
38. Maersk http://www.maersk.com
39. Saint-Gobain http://www.saint-gobain.com
40. UniCredit http://www.unicreditgroup.eu
41. Nokia http://www.nokia.com
42. Posco http://www.posco.com
43. MetLife http://www.metlife.com/
44. Bestbuy http://www.bestbuy.com/
45. McDonalds http://www.mcdonalds.com
46. HBGary http://hbgary.com/
Possibly related Tweets:
• (approx 0330EST 5 May 12): thewikiboat: @AnonymousWiki yeah, I think it was the wrong list anyway >_> ~Danneh
• (approx 2230EST 14 May 12): anonymouswiki: @TheWikiBoat Yeah the targets weren’t to be publicly announced and were to remain private. I thought I deleted the paste.
• (approx 2230EST 14 May 12): anonymouswiki: @faceyet No need to tell PBS. They’ve already been targeted hence the three stars by the name.
IT Security professionals of the world, prepare yourselves and ready your networks. It would seem these folks have a grudge against corporations and are looking to disrupt each of the websites for at least two hours. Who knows, maybe they will have so few “volunteers” to use LOIC, that they might not even be able to bring a single one down.
If you’d like to read the Pastebin for yourself, it can be found here.